Associate Director Business Development
The Associate Director, Business Development will work collaboratively with a variety of company functions including External Innovation (Acadia’s R&D Search and Evaluation team), Commercial, and Finance as well as external resources to review, landscape, identify and evaluate external assets to support and enhance the Acadia portfolio. We are seeking an individual with strong analytical and evaluation skills including data gathering and analysis, financial modeling experience and related analysis, competitive intelligence and scientific/commercial analysis of companies and programs in the pharmaceutical and biotech industry, as well as experience with BD transactions. The person in this role must have experience in identifying and analyzing the value of companies and programs within the pharmaceutical industry, building a business case for potential BD opportunities, and working with Executive management to implement corporate Business Development (BD) strategies.
- Conducts extensive searches using industry resources to identify and evaluate potential BD opportunities.
- Constructs forecasts, recommendations and strategic/tactical plans based on business data and market knowledge.
- Develop a solid business case and provide other general support for BD transactions including scientific, commercial and financial considerations.
- Conducts search efforts to identify business development acquisition or in-licensing opportunities.
- Performs in-depth evaluations, interpreting competitive landscape and analysis of financial data.
- Develops and manages complex revenue & cash flow NPV models and assist in production and testing assumptions related to overall commercial opportunity modeling (e.g., future markets, product performance, customers & compliance and competitors). Works with Finance to create forecasting and deal evaluation models.
- Role supports and coordinates activities related to the search, identification, competitive intelligence, and business case for potential transactions, working with the External Innovation and Commercial teams who lead the scientific and commercial assessments, which are incorporated into the overall deal package by BD.
- Maintains awareness and knowledge of product strategy to assess fit of potential candidates.
- Stays abreast of emerging healthcare & pharmaceutical industry trends and assess their potential impact on business strategies.
Targeting a minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible experience within consulting, venture capital or investment banking with a focus on valuation of and strategic transactions related to of therapeutics/companies in the pharmaceutical or biotech industry. M.D., advanced degree in a relevant scientific discipline (e.g., Ph.D.), or an MBA or functional equivalent, is required. Experience in the rare disease and CNS space. A combination of relevant education and applicable job experience may be considered.
- Scientific knowledge of industry sub-segments of CNS, Neurology or Orphan/Rare disease as well as industry functional areas of R&D, Clinical Development and Commercial/New Product Planning.
- Extensive experience developing and using Excel-based models including working on/developing complex financial models.
- Experience in competitive analysis, market research and analysis, and new product development needed.
- Expertise with Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Excellent analytical abilities: ability to draw conclusions and present recommendations on a variety of data.
- Ability to create and deliver influential large scale project communications with clarity, confidence and enthusiasm.
- Demonstrated ability to manage projects and time with multiple commitments/projects simultaneously.
- Superior written / verbal communication, organizational and analytical skills
- Critical thinking skills with the ability to get to the right level of granularity to balance speed of execution and facilitate optimal decision-making by executive management.
- Excellent financial analysis and research skills and ability to translate analyses into sound strategic recommendations.
- Ability to work in a results-oriented, project-driven, real-time team environment, prioritize projects and deliver quality results within tight time constraints.
- Ability to think strategically as well as to act tactically.
- Excellent database skills.
- Ability to travel.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, see, talk or hear in a standard office environment and independently from remote locations. Employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
What we offer you (US-Based Employees):
- Competitive base, bonus, new hire and ongoing equity packages
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- 401(k) Plan with a fully vested company match 1:1 up to 5%
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan with a 2-year purchase price lock-in
- 15+ vacation days
- 14 paid holidays plus one floating holiday of your choice, including office closure between December 24th and January 1st
- 10 days of paid sick time
- Paid parental leave
- Tuition assistance
EEO Statement (US-Based Employees): Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they meet every single one of the qualifications in the exact way they are described in job postings. We are committed to building a diverse, equitable, inclusive, and innovative company and we are looking for the BEST candidate for the job. That candidate may be one who comes from a less traditional background or may meet the qualifications in a different way. We would strongly encourage you to apply – especially if the reason you are the best candidate isn’t exactly as we describe it here.
It is the policy of Acadia to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants without regard to considerations of race, including related to hairstyle, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, gender transition, country of origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, legally-protected medical condition or information, marital status, domestic partner status, family care status, military caregiver status, veteran or military status (including reserve status, National Guard status, and military service or obligation), status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault or stalking, enrollment in a public assistance program, or any basis protected under federal, state or local law.
As an equal opportunity employer, Acadia is committed to a diverse workforce. If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request a reasonable accommodation. Furthermore, you may request additional support if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access Acadia’s career website due to your disability, along with any accommodations throughout the interview process. To request or inquire about your reasonable accommodation, please complete our Reasonable Accommodation Request Form or contact us at email@example.com or 858-261-2923.
Please note that reasonable accommodations granted throughout the recruiting process are not guaranteed to be the same accommodation given if hired. A new request will need to be submitted for any ADA accommodations after starting employment.
Notice to Search Firms/Third-Party Recruitment Agencies (Recruiters): The Talent Acquisition team manages the recruitment and employment process for Acadia Pharmaceuticals Inc. (“Acadia”). Acadia does not accept resumes from recruiters or search firms without an executed search agreement in place. Resumes sent to Acadia employees in absence of an executed search agreement will not obligate Acadia in any way with the respect to the future employment of those individuals or potential remuneration to any recruiter or search firm. Candidates should never be submitted directly to our hiring managers or employees.